Popular Posts

Saturday, December 26, 2015

Ham and potato soup


Inspired from:
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/56927/delicious-ham-and-potato-soup/

This recipe is an after Christmas recipe when figuring out what to do with the left over ham..  My friend, Gretta, recently started making split pea soup with ham so I went on All Recipes and found this highly rated recipe since I had potatoes and ham.  


Beyond cubed ham (which I had plenty off) and red potatoes, I had some of a raw veggie tray left over, so I added green onions (4), celery, carrots, and a bit of Cauliflower - why not,  

For the broth, I don't use chicken bouillon cubes because they're an MSG, preservative nightmare.  Instead I used a box of organic veggie broth and the broth from the collard greens that was left over.  I added a couple glasses of water.  Then, I added some garlic salt, salt, pepper, celery salt, and parsley. 


I am lactose intolerant so I skipped the milk portion of the recipe.  Regardless, it still tasted pretty great.

I brought it to a boil and cooked the potatoes.  Once those were soft I reduced the heat, added those couple glasses of water and seasoning.  I did let it simmer for an hour or two after cooking until the potatoes were falling apart and I thought the seasonings had melded together.  

.



Alternative to bouillon cubes -->

Veggie Chicken Broth Mix
1-1/2 c. nutritional yeast
3 T. onion powder
2-1/2 t. garlic powder
1 T. salt
1 t. celery seed
2-1/2 T. Italian Seasoning
2 T. dry parsley


No comments:

Post a Comment